Government Relations Update - February/March 2013
February 26, 2013
Federal Government Topics
Provincial Government Topics
The Big Picture
- Increased dispensing of generic drugs - With the elimination of the Quebec "15 year rule" on January 14, 2013, the number of prescriptions filled with generic drugs in Quebec is expected to increase in 2013.
- Generic friendly drug plans - In an effort to take advantage of the continuing cycle of generic drug price reductions, more private payers are likely to adopt mandatory generic drug plan designs.
- Downward pressure on generic drug prices – Provincial and federal governments will continue to look to generic drugs for additional savings in their health care budgets.
- Brand pressure to extend Canadian IP laws - Continued pressure from international brand companies to extend Canada's IP laws.
- Compensation for pharmacy services - Generic drug pricing, professional services and pharmacy reimbursement will continue to be actively discussed in 2013.